Amberley Castle was originally built as a manor house by the Bishop Luffa early in the 12th century. The curtain wall was built after Bishop Rede received a license to crenelate from King Richard II in 1377. In 1377 the French had been raiding the south of England and fear of an invasion was great. To help meet this threat King Richard II issued a number of licenses to Crenellate including Amberley and .
Amberley castle was a royalist stronghold during the english civil war, when it was besieged and sacked by the parliamentarians and later being slighted by Cromwell.
Impressive medieval curtain wall and gatehouse, visible from the village
Interior of the castle is now a hotel and not open to the general public
Nearby St Michael's Church dates from 1100 with medieval wall paintings
Privately owned, not open to the general public
Limited parking in Amberley Village
Food available at the Black Horse pub