The central tower was built in 1512 by Sir Edward Guildeford. The outer walls and bastions were added in 1544. The castle was intended to defend the coast between rye and Winchelsea from the French. However by the end of 16th century, the silting up of local rivers had reduced its military value and the garrison was disbanded in 1637.
This view from the outside shows the D shaped bastions and part of the octagonal curtain wall. The castle was built largely from local sandstone and limestone.
Outside walls and towers are intact
Interior is ruined, but many rooms and tunnels are accessible
Scenic walk over to reach castle
Interior is not currently open to the public, but has been in the past
No facilities at castle itself
One mile walk over sheep pasture to get to the castle